Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This scrumptious avocado sandwich is filled with roasted red peppers and a zesty cilantro-lime avocado mash, then grilled to crispy perfection! A delicious vegan lunch or dinner that takes minutes to prepare.
Is there anything avocados can’t do? They’re pretty amazing, and I’m a big fan of using them in everything from guacamole to aioli to quesadillas.
Avocados also make an awesome sandwich! And in the case of a grilled vegan sandwich like this one, they make a great filling that is easy to flavor and softens up beautifully when heated. If you were ever a fan of panini sandwiches, try these — you will not miss the dairy!
- What You’ll Need
- How to Make a Grilled Avocado Sandwich
- Avocado Sandwich Tips & FAQ
- More Vegan Grilled Sandwiches
- Grilled Avocado Sandwich
What You’ll Need
- Avocado. Make sure it’s ripe. You can test this by pulling out the stem. It should be green beneath it. If the stem won’t come out, the avocado is underripe. If it’s brown underneath, it’s overripe.
- Lime juice. Use fresh lime juice. It’s so much better than bottled!
- Fresh cilantro. Feel free to sub another fresh herb, such as basil, if you’re not a fan of cilantro.
- Roasted red peppers.
- Coconut bacon. This is optional, but so worth it! Feel free to substitute tempeh bacon or tofu bacon for an even heartier sandwich.
- Sandwich bread.
- Vegan butter. Look for brands like Miyoko’s or Earth Balance.
- Baby arugula. Baby spinach works too!
How to Make a Grilled Avocado Sandwich
The following is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. Scroll down if you’d prefer to skip right to the recipe!
- Start by making your avocado filling: mash the avocado up in a bowl, then stir in the lime juice, salt, and cilantro.
- Assemble the sandwich. Butter two slices of bread, then slather the other side of one slice with your avocado mash. Top it with roasted red pepper slices, coconut bacon (if using), and baby arugula. Place the other side on top.
- Heat up a nonstick frying pan and grill the sandwich for a few minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
Avocado Sandwich Tips & FAQ
- Can this recipe be made gluten-free? Absolutely! Just use your favorite gluten-free sandwich bread.
- This sandwich is best served right away. It won’t stay crispy for long, and the avocado will turn brown eventually.
- Make sure your avocado is ripe, but not overripe. To test it, try pulling the stem out. It should be green underneath. If the stem won’t come out, it’s underripe. If it’s brown underneath, it’s overripe.
- Feel free to switch things up or add your favorite sandwich fillings. Tomato could easily be subbed for the red peppers, basil for the cilantro, and lemon juice for the lime juice. Vegan cheese, hot peppers, and hot sauce would all make great additions. Get creative!