Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Crispy tofu and cauliflower florets are drenched in a sweet and savory bourbon ginger sauce to create this totally inauthentic but undoubtedly delicious vegan stir-fry.
I recognize that I’ve been boozing up the blog like crazy lately. I barely let an entire week pass since my last whiskey-infused recipe, and believe it or not, I didn’t make this stir-fry in order to use up the last of that bottle. I actually went out and bought a whole new bottle for this one, and I’m so glad I did, because this was the best thing ever.
This was also totally misguided, by the way, as lots of my recipes were. There’s a Chinese-fusion-ish dish that involves bourbon and chicken, and that’s where the inspiration for this comes from, but I can’t really say its an adaptation. Once I heard that such a dish existed I immediately assumed I knew what it was all about and threw this recipe together, all stir-fried with crispy cornstarch coated tofu bits. Bourbon chicken, as I now understand, involves marinating and roasting…or something like that? I’m really not concerned with the original anymore though, because my crispy bourbon tofu bits were bliss.
I also debated doing this with crispy cauliflower instead of tofu, because everyone seems to dig the whole crispy Chinese cauliflower thing. In the end I decided not to decide, and make a tofu-cauliflower stir-fry.
from vote Print
Crispy Bourbon Tofu Stir-Fry
Crispy tofu and cauliflower florets are drenched in a sweet and savory bourbon ginger sauce to create this totally inauthentic but undoubtedly delicious vegan stir-fry. CourseEntree CuisineAmerican, Asian-Inspired Prep Time 5 minutes Cook Time 30 minutes Total Time 35 minutes Servings 4 Calories 377 kcal
For the Bourbon Sauce
- ⅓cupvegan bourbon whiskey
- 3tbsp.soy sauce
- 3tbsp.maple syrup
- 1 ½tbsp.rice vinegar
- 1 ½tsp.freshly grated ginger
- 2garlic cloves,minced
- 3tbsp.cold water
- 1 ½tsp.cornstarch
For the Tofu Stir-Fry
- vegetable oil,any high smoke point oil will work
- 1lb.extra firm tofu,drained, pressed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- about ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 3scallions,white and green parts separated and chopped
- 3cupscauliflower florets,1 small crown
- cooked rice or quinoa
- roasted peanuts,optional
- red pepper flakes,optional
Make the Bourbon Sauce
- Place stir bourbon, soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, ginger and garlic into a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Stir everything to incorporate and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the alcohol has cooked off (taste test), about 10 minutes. Stir cornstarch and water together in a small cup or bowl and add to whiskey mixture. Allow to simmer 1 minute more, until sauce thickens a bit. Remove from heat.
Make the Tofu Stir-Fry
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet generously with oil and place over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, roll tofu cubes in cornstarch mixture and transfer to skillet in a single layer. Cook until crispy on bottoms, about 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking on each side until crispy (it’s okay if you miss a side or two on some of the cubes). Add oil to skillet as needed between batches and continue until all tofu cubes are cooked, transferring each batch to a paper towel-lined plate when done.
- Coat skillet with another tablespoon of oil and raise heat to high. Add cauliflower and white parts of scallions. Stir-fry until cauliflower is tender-crisp and browned in spots, about 5 minutes.
- Lower heat and add tofu back to skillet, along with whiskey sauce. Cook just until sauce becomes bubbly and coats cauliflower and tofu, about 1 minute.
- Divide rice or quinoa onto plates and top with stir-fry. Sprinkle with green parts of scallions, peanuts and red pepper flakes, if desired. Serve.
Nutrition information does not include accompaniments.
Nutrition FactsCrispy Bourbon Tofu Stir-FryAmount Per ServingCalories 377Calories from Fat 167% Daily Value*Fat 18.6g29%Saturated Fat 2g10%Sodium 717mg30%Potassium 499mg14%Carbohydrates 31.7g11%Fiber 3.5g14%Sugar 11.9g13%Protein 11.9g24%Calcium 210mg21%Iron 2.9mg16%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.« Black Bean & Spinach EnchiladasVegan Mango Muffins »