Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
These fudgy vegan black bean brownies are rich, chocolatey, topped with a creamy peanut butter swirl, and taste like 100% pure brownie decadence (not beans!).
I can’t even begin to tell you guys how much I loved these brownies. Loved them! So much! Holy moly!
Here’s the thing: I have a hard time with brownie recipes. I don’t know what it is, but they’re a pain. It might have something to do with the fact that I tend to feel the need to come up with off-the-wall flavors and stir-ins and such, because we all have a basic brownie recipe, right? And in the case of most of my readers, you probably already have a basic vegan brownie recipe.
So I made these more out of fun than anything, thinking pretty much that it’s high time I got into the current millennium and tried some black bean brownies, like the rest of the internet.
Unexpected things happened.
One, this recipe was so easy to develop. It was super intuitive. Maybe I got lucky, but I threw some beans into the food processor along with a bunch of other ingredients until it tasted, looked, and felt like brownie batter. Magically, it worked out!
Secondly, these were just maybe my favorite brownies ever. Fudgy, chocolatey, and not beany tasting at all. That’s not to say the peanut butter swirl and chocolate chips on top didn’t help (because how could they not?), but the brownies themselves are solid.
I just whipped up a brand new batch for the holiday weekend, so I thought it was about time I got to sharing the recipe, in case any of you would like to do the same.
from votes Print
Peanut Butter Swirl Vegan Black Bean Brownies
These fudgy vegan black bean brownies are rich, chocolatey, topped with a creamy peanut butter swirl, and taste like 100% pure brownie decadence (not beans!). CourseDessert CuisineAmerican Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 9 Calories 190 kcal
- 1-15oz.can black beansdrained and rinsed
- ½cupcocoa powder
- ⅓cupgranulated sugar,whatever kind you like, coconut, organic white sugar, I used turbinado
- ¼cupcanola or coconut oil
- ¼cupunflavored soy or almond milk
- 1tsp.vanilla extract
- ½tsp.baking powder
- 2tbsp.creamy natural peanut butter,or more, if you like
- ¼cupvegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly oil an 8 inch x 8 inch baking pan.
- Place beans, cocoa powder, sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, baking powder and salt into a food processor bowl and blend until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Distribute a few dollops of peanut butter on the top of batter and swirl with a knife or chopstick. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 22-24 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Cut into 9 squares and serve.
Nutrition FactsPeanut Butter Swirl Vegan Black Bean BrowniesAmount Per ServingCalories 190Calories from Fat 92% Daily Value*Fat 10.2g16%Saturated Fat 2.2g11%Sodium 91mg4%Potassium 324mg9%Carbohydrates 22.6g8%Fiber 5g20%Sugar 10.6g12%Protein 5.5g11%Calcium 30mg3%Iron 2mg11%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.« Garlicky Kale BurgersVegan Mongolian Beef »