Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This decadent stuffed vegan French toast is cooked up in a light coconut milk cardamom batter, grilled until golden brown, and stuffed with a rich cranberry cheesecake and pistachio filling.
2015 has not been the year of breakfast on this blog. I’m kind of sorry about this, because, truth be told, I love posting breakfast recipes. Nothing makes me happier than cooking up some fun-filled vegan pancakes on a Sunday morning and snapping some photos before sitting down to enjoy them with the satisfaction of having some new killer breakfast blog material.
Alas, you guys aren’t breakfast peeps. I’m really not either though, which doesn’t really make sense, given what I just told you. I think during its early days I used this site as an excuse to cook up weekend breakfasts, thinking everyone would be all about it.
So here I am with my vegan dinner blog, which really does make sense, because vegan dinner is what I spend the most time cooking. But that doesn’t mean I won’t cook up some brekkie when I have a really good excuse, and today I’ve got two of ’em.
It also happens to be the holiday season, so even the most unbreakfasty among us can get down with some stuffed vegan French toast. Love this idea? Love coconut milk, cranberries and pistachos? This recipe is for you!
from vote Print
Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French Toast
This decadent stuffed vegan French toast is cooked up in a light coconut milk cardamom batter, grilled until golden brown and stuffed with a rich cranberry cheesecake and pistachio filling. CourseBreakfast CuisineAmerican Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 15 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 4 Calories 695 kcal
For the Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffing
- 2cupsfresh cranberries
- 1cupraw cashews,soaked in water 4-8 hours, drained and rinsed
- 2tbsp.maple syrup
- 1tbsp.lemon juice
- 1tsp.vanilla extract
- 1cupshelled pistachios,coarsely chopped
For the French Toast
- ½cupfull fat coconut milk
- ½cupsoy or almond milk
- 1tbsp.maple syrup
- 1tsp.vanilla extract
- ¼tsp.cardamom,or more, to taste
- 8slicescrusty bread
- vegan margarine
- maple syrup
Make the Cranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Filling
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add cranberries and boil just until berries begin to split, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and drain into a colander.
- Place cashews, maple syrup, lemon juice, vanilla and salt into food processor bowl and blend to a thick paste, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Add water and continue blending until smooth. Add cranberries and pulse a few times, just to chop and incorporate cranberries into the mixture.
Make the French Toast
- In a small bowl, whisk together coconut milk, soy or almond milk, cornstarch, maple syrup, vanilla, cardamom and salt until well blended.
- Lightly oil a nonstick skillet or frying pan and place over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, dip both sides of each bread slice into coconut milk batter. Place bread slices into pan or skillet and cook until lightly browned on bottoms, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook another 3-4 minutes on opposite sides. Repeat for all bread slices, adding oil to the pan as needed between batches.
- Spread cranberry cheesecake mixture over a slice of French toast and sprinkle with pistachios. Top with another French toast slice. Repeat until all French toast slices, cheesecake mixture and pistachios are used. Top each stack with vegan margarine and maple syrup.
Nutrition FactsCranberry Cheesecake & Pistachio Stuffed Vegan French ToastAmount Per Serving (2 slices + ¼ batch of stuffing)Calories 695Calories from Fat 318% Daily Value*Fat 35.3g54%Saturated Fat 11.1g56%Sodium 535mg22%Potassium 492mg14%Carbohydrates 75.6g25%Fiber 7.9g32%Sugar 17.3g19%Protein 18.6g37%Calcium 120mg12%Iron 6.7mg37%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.« Three Bean Vegan Tamale PieRidiculously Easy Veggie Green Curry Potato Soup »