Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Whole grain bread is stuffed with veggies, creamy black olive hummus, and grilled up to crispy perfection in these vegan hummus panini sandwiches.
Olives are a bit of a fixture in my diet. When I was a little kid, I was notorious for polishing off all of black olives at family picnics. Like, big time. I had to be kept away from the black olive tray, as I was inclined to help myself to an entire plate of those juicy little suckers.
If only I’d had this sandwich to satiate my appetite back then. It’s like a sandwich and a plate full of black olives, all rolled into one.
At least I can be thankful for the fact that even as a thefting little tot, I had an appetite for good stuff. You know? I totally could’ve been sneaking into the cookie jar like most kids my age, but leave it to me to pick something healthy. I shouldn’t be surprised. Black olives are delicious.
This sandwich is loaded with black olives, and fits right in with the Mediterranean diet. (Side note: this sandwich is also loaded with Mediterranean flavors, which isn’t totally necessary under the Mediterranean diet. Mediterranean diet Mexican food, Chinese food and veggie burgers are all totally doable.) It’s also a delicious gooey, goodness filled and grilled panini that’s totally vegan. Hummus is my secret ingredient, because when you stick in between some bread and heat it up, hummus gets warm and spoogey, just like cheese would in a non-vegan panini. This hummus is extra awesome, because it’s loaded with flavors that you’d normally find in a black olive tapenade. I threw in some red pepper slices and spinach, for extra veggie healthiness, but also because they’re delicious and work beautifully with the tapenade-hummus flavors. This sandwich feels really decadent, but it’s secretly healthy. In other words, it’s the best kind of sandwich.
from votes Print
Grilled Mediterranean Black Olive Hummus Panini Sandwiches
Whole grain bread is stuffed with veggies, creamy black olive hummus, and grilled up to crispy perfection in these vegan hummus panini sandwiches. CourseSandwich CuisineAmerican, Mediterranean Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 20 minutes Servings 4
For the Black Olive Hummus
- 1 ¾cupscooked or 1-14 oz. can chickpeasdrained and rinsed
- 2tbsp.olive oil
- 2tbsp.lemon juice
- 1tbsp.red wine vinegar
- ¼cupchopped fresh parsley
- 1cuplarge California Black Ripe Olives
- black pepper to taste
For the Mediterranean Black Olive Hummus Panini Sandwiches
- 8sliceswhole grain sandwich bread
- 1cupfresh baby spinach
- ½cuproasted red pepper slices
- 12 to 16large California Ripe Black Olivessliced
- olive oil
Make the Black Olive Hummus
- Place chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice, tahini and vinegar into food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add parsley, California Black Ripe Olives, capers and black pepper to food processor bowl. Pulse just until finely chopped and incorporated into hummus. Transfer mixture to a bowl.
Make the Mediterranean Black Olive Hummus Panini Sandwiches
- Slather each bread slices with a thin layer of black olive hummus. Pair up slices and stuff each pair with a few baby spinach leaves, red pepper slices and California Ripe Black Olive slices.
- Lightly oil a large flat bottom skillet and place over medium heat. Working in batches if needed, place sandwiches in skillet and grill until browned on bottoms, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and grill until browned on opposites sides, about 3-4 minutes more.
« Korean Tofu Bibimbap SandwichesPeanut Butter Chocolate Covered Pretzel Banana Nice Cream »