Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Chunky white beans, artichoke hearts and creamy avocado slices are drizzled with garlicky pesto sauce, stuffed between bread slices and grilled until golden and delicious to create this comforting and flavorful vegan green goddess melt sandwich.
Let’s just look past the fact that I named this a “melt sandwich” but nothing is technically melting here. Yeah, I kind of named it that to draw you in, but now that you’re here, listen up: if you were to take a bite of this sucker with a blindfold on, you’d never ever know that you were eating something that wasn’t melted. I promise.
Mashed up beans, pesto sauce and avocado are all things that get soft and squishy when heated, even if they don’t technically melt. But isn’t soft and squishy the whole point of eating melty food? If you really, really want to, you can throw some vegan mozzarella shreds on here, but you don’t need to at all.
All of my squishy sandwich fillings for this one happened to be green, and I’ve been seeing so many beautiful recipes for green goddess everything gracing the internet lately, I figured it was about time I threw in my own contribution. This sandwich turned out to be perfectly springy, sloppy and delicious, and it takes all of twelve minutes to throw together.
Tips for Making an Awesome Green Goddess Melt Sandwich
- Feel free to prep everything in advance except the avocado. The avocado will start to brown once you cut it!
- Add your favorite vegan cheese if you’d like. Mozzarella or provolone style slices would be great!
- Looking for a good store-bought vegan pesto? Try Amore brand.
- Want to make your own vegan pesto? Try my recipe, here.
Like this recipe? If so, be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to my newsletter. And please stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you make it!
from votes Print
Green Goddess Melt Sandwich
Chunky white beans, artichoke hearts and creamy avocado slices are drizzled with garlicky pesto sauce, stuffed between bread slices and grilled until golden and delicious to create this comforting and flavorful vegan green goddess melt sandwich. CourseSandwich CuisineAmerican Prep Time 4 minutes Cook Time 8 minutes Total Time 12 minutes Servings 1 Calories 701 kcal
- ½cupcooked or canned cannellini beans,drained and rinsed
- 1tbsp.vegan pesto sauce,store-bought or homemade, plus extra, to taste
- 2slicesgood sandwich bread
- 2artichoke hearts,canned or frozen and thawed, coarsely chopped
- about ¼ cup baby arugula or spinach leaves
- ½avocado,sliced thinly
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil,for grilling
- Place beans into a small bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Stir in pesto. Spread on one of your bread slices. Top with artichoke hearts, followed by spinach or arugula, then avocado slices. Drizzle with as much additional pesto as you like between layers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and top with remaining bread slice.
- Coat the bottom of a large flat-bottomed skillet with oil and place over medium heat. Place sandwich into skillet and grill until lightly browned on bottom, about 4 minutes. Flip and grill until browned on other side, about 4 minutes more.
Nutrition FactsGreen Goddess Melt SandwichAmount Per ServingCalories 701Calories from Fat 331% Daily Value*Fat 36.8g57%Saturated Fat 7g35%Sodium 1087mg45%Potassium 1026mg29%Carbohydrates 77.2g26%Fiber 14.6g58%Sugar 9.2g10%Protein 19.7g39%Calcium 260mg26%Iron 6.1mg34%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.« Vegan Mango MuffinsTempeh Benedict with Vegan Hollandaise Sauce »