Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Pita loaves are stuffed with crunchy avocado ranch dressed slaw and barbecue sauce smothered roasted cauliflower in these scrumptious barbecue cauliflower sandwiches.
Opps. I just posted a cauliflower/avocado sandwich recipe. Sticking with the theme was totally unintentional, at least on a conscious level. This happens on occasion and I often don’t realize it until I actually sit down to write the post. Oh well. If there’s two things I can never get enough of in life, they just might be cauliflower and avocado, especially if you put them in a sandwich.
When I posted that last cauliflower sandwich, someone commented that the fillings might go nicely in a pita. For whatever reason, I never think to use pitas for much other than falafel and hummus. That suggestion must have stuck with me, because this time around I ended up stuffing my sandwich fillings into pitas. Glad I did. I definitely need more pita in my life.
I’ve definitely also got barbecue and slaw on the brain as of late.
Since this is all delicious stuff that I think we all tend to crave in warmer weather, I won’t spend much time explaining. Things are busy and I haven’t been feeling terribly wordy lately. I’ll just leave you with a promise that these sandwiches were insanely delicious. Totally worth firing up your oven in the June heat, and if you’re not into that, I’m betting the cauliflower would cook up beautifully on the grill – be sure to let me know how it works out if you give that a try!
from vote Print
Barbecue Cauliflower Pitas with Avocado Ranch Slaw
Pita loaves are stuffed with crunchy avocado ranch dressed slaw and barbecue sauce smothered roasted cauliflower in these scrumptious barbecue cauliflower sandwiches. CourseSandwich CuisineAmerican Prep Time 15 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 35 minutes Servings 4
For the Barbecue Cauliflower
- ½cuptomato paste
- ⅓cupmaple syrup
- 3tbsp.apple cider vinegar
- 2tbsp.soy sauce
- ½tsp.liquid smoke
- 1-2tsp.srirachaor your favorite hot sauce, or to taste
- 2garlic cloves minced
- 1medium cauliflower crownbroken into florets
- 1-2tsp.olive oil
For the Avocado Ranch Slaw
- 1ripe avocadopeeled and pitted
- ¼cupunflavored soy or almond milk
- 3tbsp.lemon juice
- 1tbsp.apple cider vinegar
- 2garlic clovesminced
- 3cupsshredded cabbage
- ¼cupfinely chopped chives
- ¼cupfinely chopped parsley
- 4pita loaves
Make the Barbecue Cauliflower
- Stir tomato paste, water, maple syrup, cider vinegar, soy sauce, liquid smoke, hot sauce and garlic together in small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a bit more water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Preheat oven to 400º. Toss cauliflower florets in olive oil and arrange in roasting pan. Bake 10 minutes. Pour barbecue sauce over florets and toss gently to coat. Bake about 10 minutes more, until fork tender.
Make the Avocado Ranch Slaw
- Place avocado, milk, lemon juice, cider vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper into food processor or blender and blend until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl or pitcher as needed.
- Place cabbage, carrots, chives and parsley in large mixing bowl. Stir in avocado mixture until well distributed.
- Stuff pita loaves with slaw and barbecue cauliflower. Serve.
« Soba Noodles with Tahini Sauce, Broccoli Rabe and Ginger Black Pepper Braised Tofu25 Creative Vegan Falafel Recipes »