Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
Made with creamy peanut butter, infused with spices, and studded with dark chocolate chips, these vegan blackstrap molasses muffins are sure to become an instant favorite!
Okay, so I realize I constantly refer to new recipes as all-time favorites on this site. The fact that I do it all the time doesn’t make it not true. I’m just really enthusiastic about my food, and when I love a new recipe, it’s an instant favorite.
Having said all that: these muffins are my favorite muffins ever. That includes all the vegan and non-vegan, healthy, sugar laden desserts-in-disguise and everything in between. They’ve even managed to surpass my vegan banana muffins, which is saying a lot.
I’ve been working on this one for a while, though not intentionally. Some time around last spring I threw the first version of the recipe together, and I’ve been making and tweaking the recipe ever since. As a result of all of that, I’m pretty certain I’ve nailed down the best possible version.
My first batch used almond butter instead of peanut butter, and that was good, but the peanut butter version is definitely better. Also, for some reason coconut oil works better than any other oil in this recipe, although you could go with some other neutral flavored baking oil if that’s what you’ve got on hand. Can you swap out the blackstrap molasses for regular molasses? Maybe. That’s one thing I haven’t tried, but I really love blackstrap, and I especially love the combination of blackstrap molasses and peanut butter. (If you do too, check out my breakfast cookies, which also feature that combo).
If case you’re not familiar, blackstrap molasses is essentially super intense molasses. It’s also got some health benefits as compared to regular old molasses. You can possibly get it at the regular old supermarket, definitely at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s, and if all else fails, get it on Amazon.
from votes Print
Vegan Peanut Butter Blackstrap Molasses Muffins
Made with creamy peanut butter, infused with spices, and studded with dark chocolate chips, these vegan blackstrap molasses muffins are sure to become an instant favorite! CourseBreakfast, Dessert, Snack CuisineAmerican Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 30 minutes Servings 12 Calories 257 kcal
- 2cupsspelt flour
- 3tablespoonscoconut sugar,brown sugar works too
- 1tablespoonbaking powder
- 2teaspoonsground cinnamon
- ¼teaspoonground nutmeg
- ¼teaspoonground cloves
- 1 ⅓cupunflavored soy or almond milk
- ⅓cupcreamy natural peanut butter,almond butter works too
- ¼cupblackstrap molasses
- ¼cupcoconut oil,melted
- 1 ½teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 1 ¼cupsvegan chocolate chips
- 2tablespoonsshredded coconut,optional
- Preheat oven to 350° and line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. In a separate bowl, stir together milk, peanut butter, molasses, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Fold in chips.
- Divide batter into muffin cups and optionally sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, until tops spring back when lightly touched. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool for a bit before serving (but they’re extra awesome when still a tad warm).
Nutrition FactsVegan Peanut Butter Blackstrap Molasses MuffinsAmount Per ServingCalories 257Calories from Fat 114% Daily Value*Fat 12.7g20%Saturated Fat 7.2g36%Sodium 149mg6%Potassium 395mg11%Carbohydrates 34.4g11%Fiber 3.4g14%Sugar 14.6g16%Protein 6.3g13%Calcium 70mg7%Iron 2.5mg14%* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.« Vegan Beef Barley SoupChai Golden Milk Doughnuts »