Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
This creamy vegan spinach and artichoke soup is made with a rich and dairy-free base and seasoned with garlic, dill and scallions.
I’m getting more into the swing of keeping a posting schedule. When I say that, I mean, as opposed to just waking up in the morning, picking my favorite recipe and hitting the publish button. I operated that way for a while, and though I still do that when I get extra busy or excited about a recipe, I’m at least starting to settle into a predetermined schedule. Makes things a little easier on me as far as not having to deal with last minute decisions. It probably makes things more interesting for us all, as far as not having to deal with a solid week of pancake recipes.
I scheduled this one during a bout of chilly April showers, only to have it’s post date turn out to be the springiest day so far. Ah well. I for one, like to enjoy a good bowl of soup any time of year, and this soup in particular seems a more springy variety. Even though it’s rich, and it’s pretty darn rich, it’s all green and has a light savory flavor with a hint of dill, which, I recently realized, tends to dominate my recipes in the springtime.
Did I mention that this was rich? I was surprised at how decadent this one turned out. Normally I go for cashews to get a thick and creamy soup base. On the day I created this one I was feeling lazy and opted to give some soy milk a try. It worked fantastic! The broth was incredibly hearty and perfect for dipping crusty bread, which I guess would be fitting for a soupified version of a normally dairy-laden party dip.
from vote Print
Vegan Spinach & Artichoke Soup
This creamy spinach and artichoke soup is made with a rich and creamy dairy-free base and seasoned with garlic, dill and scallions. CourseSoup CuisineAmerican Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 10 minutes Total Time 20 minutes Servings 4
- 9oz.frozen artichoke heartsthawed
- 6oz.fresh spinach
- 1tbsp.olive oil
- 3garlic clovesminced
- 2 ½cupsvegetable brothdivided
- 2tbsp.all purpose flour
- 2 ½cupsunflavored soy or almond milk
- 2tbsp.nutritional yeast flakesoptional, but gives a nice cheesy flavor
- 2tbsp.lemon juice
- 2tbsp.chopped dill
- Working in batches if necessary, place spinach and artichoke hearts in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Place oil in large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth and flour. Stir rapidly to form a smooth paste. Add remaining broth and milk. Bring to a simmer. Stir in spinach and artichoke mixture, nutritional yeast, if using, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. Allow to simmer about 1 minute, stirring constantly, just until heated throughout. Taste test and adjust as needed.
- Ladle into bowls and top with scallions.
« Tofu Stir-Fry with Tamarind Coconut SauceNo Churn Raw Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream »