Jump to Recipe Print Recipe
These vegan blueberry lemon quinoa muffins are made with hearty quinoa, for a moist, tender and healthy breakfast, snack or light dessert.
Ever make the mistake of popping into a bakery or supermarket on an empty stomach and find you can’t resist the urge to grab a muffin out of the bakery case? What happens next? Well, if you’re me, you eat the muffin, only to find that you’ve retained a lurking sense of hunger, yet acquired a weighted down belly and a mouth coated with a dry, sugary taste. You feel like you’ve just eaten a whole lot of air infused sugar. Not feel good food.
These muffins on the other hand, are absolute feel good food! This was my first shot at baking with quinoa and the result was better than I ever anticipated. If I can predict the future, I’m going to say you’ll be seeing a lot more quinoa baking on this blog. What makes these muffins so awesome? They are moist and hearty, more substantial than conventional muffins, but also seemingly (and actually) healthier. Just pick up one of these muffins. It’s heavier, but a lot of that weight is moisture, retained by the quinoa. A vast improvement over air infused sugar, if you ask me. I stored these in the fridge for munching throughout the week and they retained their moist, lemony goodness. Do this, pop one in the microwave for a half minute or so when hungry, and you have a satisfying, delicious, healthy snack.
from vote Print
Blueberry Lemon Quinoa Muffins
These vegan blueberry lemon quinoa muffins are made with hearty quinoa, for a moist, tender and healthy breakfast, snack or light dessert. CourseBreakfast CuisineAmerican Prep Time 10 minutes Cook Time 45 minutes Total Time 55 minutes Servings 16
To Prepare the Quinoa
- Juice of one lemonabout 3 tbsp.
For the Muffins
- 2cupsspelt flouror sub all-purpose
- 1 ½tsp.baking powder
- ½cupraw sugar
- 2tsp.lemon zest
- ¾cupplain vegan yogurtI used WholeSoy
- 1tsp.vanilla extract
- ¾cupunflavored soy or almond milk
- ¼cupcoconut oilmelted
- 1 ½cupsfresh blueberries
Prepare the Quinoa
- Rinse quinoa under cold water in a strainer for about two minutes.
- Bring water to boil in medium saucepan.
- Add lemon juice and quinoa. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 15-18 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Let sit about five minutes on the stove, covered, then remove lid and allow to cool a bit while you begin preparing your other ingredients.
Prepare the Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line 16 muffin tins with papers.
- In large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add 2 cups of your cooked quinoa (you should have a little extra) and mix until well blended.
- Now add zest, yogurt, vanilla, milk and coconut oil. Stir just until blended.
- Fold in blueberries. Spoon evenly into muffin tins.
- Bake 25-30 minutes.
« Vegan Sweet Potato PancakesSuperhero Spirulina Cookies »